Velo Veneto - Ciclismo Italiano !

Stories from the Velo Veneto bike racing camp in Castelcucco, Italy

Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I'm a 50 year old kid who loves to race bikes. I operate a bike racing camp in Northern Italy. When not in Italy I have the good fortune of living in one of the best places to ride, the Northern California Wine Country.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Glen returns

Still a bit sore from golf on Saturday. When you don't play often, you'd be surprised how sore your legs can get walking 4-5 miles over hill and dale hauling around a golf bag. Those who play occationally understand, those who don't play can't seem to understand how you can get so tired from such a "non-athletic" sport, or so they think. I think while cyclists are great aerobic athletes, but in general we don't tend to be the most talented overall. Even Lance Armstrong has said he wasn't much of an athlete in "ball" sports.

Speaking of athletes, my friend Glen Mitchell is back from New Zealand. Glen has ridden as a pro in the US since 1999, most recently with Sierra Nevada. He's been on two New Zealand Olympic teams. This is always a fun time of year for me as Glen comes back here having not ridden his bike for at least 4-5 weeks, so I get about a week to 10 days to put the hurt to him. Today was our first ride and I noticed that he'd taken care not to gain too much weight and he seemed much more comfortable on the bike after a couple of hours. He's motivated to have a good season in 2005 and is looking forward to his "new" team. When I say new, I shouldn't reveal too much as the team hasn't announced their roster and sponsors yet publically. Suffice it to say that two teams are merging and a former pro who's well known in the anti-doping crusade will be making a comback with the team. Stay tuned for the details later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home