Velo Veneto - Ciclismo Italiano !

Stories from the Velo Veneto bike racing camp in Castelcucco, Italy

Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I'm a 50 year old kid who loves to race bikes. I operate a bike racing camp in Northern Italy. When not in Italy I have the good fortune of living in one of the best places to ride, the Northern California Wine Country.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

We're still here !

It's been three weeks since I've updated, a busy three weeks. I started my new caddie job at Mayacama on March 9. I'm loving every minute of it. I had always said I would get back in to golf some day, which was my sport before I started cycling in 1995. I'll have to smooth things out schedule wise so I can get out on the bike at least three days a week, and we've continued to have rainy weather, so that's been tough.

At the races, Cindy has been doing well (I'm working weekends so no racing for me right now). The week after Merced there were two National Calendar races in Fresno. She seemed to have either some really bad allergies, or a head cold as the week progressed heading into the races. She almost didn't get in the car to drive down the morning of the race, but she went and raced hard. There are some great pictures of the races here.

Two weeks ago she drove down to LA with her Dewar's teammates for the San Dimas Stage Race.
This was one of the spring races she was focusing on. The key to this race is the first stage uphill time trial. Unfortunately Cindy dropped her chain after about one kilometer of the race when she shifted from the big ring to the small ring. The chain jammed and she had to get off the bike and take time to fix it. She figured she probably lost close to 1 minute with that whole mess, pretty much putting her out of contention for a top 20 on GC. But she raced really hard and agressive in the road race and crit and earned the respect of the top pros.

And then this past Saturday, the Paris Roubaix of Nor Cal was held...Copperopolis. This is a 100k race over some of the worst pavement you'll see. The scenery is wonderful as you can see here in the photos by Abbiorca.com. Cindy finished 4th in the women's race as admitted that it was one of the hardest races she's done in a long time. You're fortunate to get through that race with your bike intact...but your body, most the arms and back will be sore for a couple of days afterwards.

Here is Cindy's own report...Copperopolis was very tough. Struggled every time up the hill then wasn't where I need to be on the chuck holed decent (trying to avoid the on coming car on a turn) and two girls got away with multiple back ups in the small group I was in. I made some strong attempts to bridge and only had others sitting on my wheel. I asked the singles in the group if they wanted to catch the two up the road ... one says .... "I don't know." dh, I smiled and said, come on, lets race! That didn't work either. There were only 6 of us the last time up the hill and one girl lite it up good on the climb stretching us like a rubber band. I got gapped near the top and worked like a crazy girl to get back on. Once back with group, yup, she was still up the road. To add yet one more element to this fun day, there was brutal wind in the valley. We're now 5 and coming down the decent to the finish I decided to take first position and peddled it as much as possible, it was enough speed (or scare tactic) and close enough to the finish that two of the girls got dropped on the decent so there were three of us sprinting for 4th. I lead it from a 1 k out and punched it hard at about 250 meters to take 4th. Let me tell you that this is a very difficult 4th place. I am so sore. But the BIKE - IT WAS GREAT! The road surface was far worse then last year due to rain. Carnage was left all over the road with flats, broken wheels etc. Yeah, I think I'd go back again...Cheers, Cindy

So this week Cindy is off for some training and resting at home (she's also working 24 hrs a week at the Sonoma Country 4H offices).

Her next two races will be as a guest rider with Victory Brewing...the Morgon Hill Gran Prix and the Sea Otter Classic.

For me...I'm probably going to be working my first "Pro" tour event...a Canadian Tour event in Stockton that I think will be shown on TV on the Golf Channel the week of April 14-17.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home